It is possible that you have never taken out travel insurance before. Or you just bought a travel policy, go through the paperwork for it, and wonder what it all means.
Let's try to understand all the issues related to travel insurance. This guide explains the basics: what is and how travel insurance works, how to choose an insurance program, and how to get the most out of your policy.
What is travel insurance?
Travel insurance is a voluntary type of insurance. It is worth noting that for crossing the borders of many countries, a tourist policy is a prerequisite. A travel insurance policy can protect against many unforeseen circumstances during your trip. Travel insurance protects against certain financial risks and losses that may arise in another country. This protection is fixed in a special insurance document - the policy of traveling abroad (TZR policy). It is in it that the conditions and amounts of compensation for certain expenses to the insured person are fixed in the event of an insured event.
The insurance policy may include the following risks:
- medical and other emergency expenses;
- receiving compensation in case of loss of luggage;
- protection during sports and outdoor activities on a trip;
- compensation for damage to health or property of third parties;
- travel protection against accidents;
- protection from the effects of COVID-19 disease.
In addition to financial protection, another huge benefit of travel insurance is access to assistance services wherever you are. A team of insurance specialists and medical experts will promptly organize emergency treatment, supervise treatment, act as translators, help replace lost passports, and much more.
How does travel insurance work?
In some cases, a traveler's life may depend on travel insurance. A tourist who has issued a policy receives round-the-clock access to one of the service companies available for selection. It is they who, in any critical situation, will help not to get confused, get advice in their native language and all the necessary medical care. How does it work in real life?
Young tourists from Russia were vacationing at one of the ski resorts. During downhill skiing, one of the hikers collided with another skier. As a result of the collision, the tourist received injuries to his arms and legs. The victim immediately contacted the service company. After applying, he was taken to a medical institution of the host country by an air ambulance helicopter. The hospital performed an urgent surgical intervention on the arm and leg with the use of metal structures. After the operation, the tourist was evacuated home by plane. The flight was possible only with an additional business class seat. In such a situation, there are no alternatives.
As a result, the EUROINS insurance company fully paid for hospitalization, rescue services, transportation to the airport and a flight with an extra seat to the nearest international airport.
Do you need insurance to travel abroad?
If we consider the TCD policy precisely as a document that allows you to visit other countries, then it is important to take out appropriate insurance before leaving. For some countries, this document is mandatory both for the tourist purposes of the visit, and for obtaining a work visa, studying at a foreign educational institution.
A policy for traveling abroad is required: to obtain a visa to the Schengen countries ;
to visit certain countries with individual entry requirements. For example, in Thailand , which increased the requirement for the sum insured to 100,000 US dollars.
It is important to know that the 2020 pandemic has made significant adjustments to the requirements of many countries for obtaining medical insurance, for example, Ukraine requires a valid TZR policy with “COVID-19” risk protection to enter the country. Up-to-date data on the requirements for visiting countries is published on the website of ROSTURISM.
How to choose travel insurance?
The benefits of an insurance policy are made up of the selected protection conditions. It is important to get protection that will fully fit your needs, budget and travel plans. Choose the best offer, not based only on the cost of the policy. A cheap policy may not cover all your needs. Make sure the policy you purchase provides adequate protection for any activity or sport you plan to engage in.
What to consider when choosing a policy
1. How often do you travel
- If you are planning more than one trip per year, consider purchasing an annual multi-trip policy. A policy abroad for a year may be more profitable than a policy for a single trip;
- If you already have travel insurance, check the terms of the policy for age or travel restrictions, and make sure the policy will protect your health and other needs for every trip you take.
2. Duration of your trip
- If you are going away for a long time, an annual travel policy for traveling abroad will be a more suitable solution.
3. Where are you going
- If you are planning a long trip, make sure you buy a worldwide coverage policy or a single trip policy for a specific country;
- Cruise travel usually requires worldwide insurance coverage. If you're going on a cruise, make sure your travel insurance covers this;
- For those who are going on a trip to Russia , including a tourist policy. Protection for most risks will not interfere with a trip across the Russian expanses.
4. What will you do on the trip
- If you are going to participate in certain sports, sports and outdoor activities, be sure to include the active recreation risk protection on your TCD policy .
- Countries Requiring Travel Insurance for COVID-19
- Many countries have introduced a mandatory requirement for travel insurance against coronavirus infection. This risk can be included in insurance coverage when purchasing a TCD policy on the website or upon application at the EUROINS insurance company.
5.What do you take with you on a trip
- If you are taking things and possessions with you on a trip, think about additional protection against luggage loss.
6.How many people in a group of tourists
- If you are not traveling alone, a multi-person travel policy may be suitable for you.
7.Trip Cancellation Risk
- In the event of a visa denial or a ban on crossing the border, include the risk of "trip cancellation" in your insurance policy.
What determines the cost of the TCD policy?
Consider the factors that affect the cost of an insurance policy for traveling abroad. The total price of the traveler's policy consists of the following parameters:
- Travel time;
- Age of the insured tourists;
- Selected risks and amount of insurance coverage;
- Country and region of stay;
- Availability of protection during outdoor activities;
- The amount of the sum insured;
- Special conditions.
What do you need to apply for a TRP policy?
To issue a policy for traveling abroad or traveling in Russia, you need to know the necessary travel parameters, have some documents and contact details on hand, among them: Passport of the person for whom the insurance policy is issued;
Foreign passport of the insured person (except for travel within the territory of the Russian Federation);
E-mail address to which the TCD policy will be sent;
Bank card details for purchasing a policy on the site.
Pay attention to filling in the fields in order to avoid distortion of information (date of birth, full name as in the passport, etc.).
Travel insurance policy with EUROINS
The right travel insurance policy will give you peace of mind wherever you go. You'll know where to turn if something goes wrong with 24/7 support.
Sometimes it can be difficult to know where to start looking for a travel insurance policy. There are many different variables involved in the policy process, and there are a wide variety of options and levels of protection to choose from. EUROINS insurance company will help you compare conditions and apply for a TCD policy online. The Travel Insurance Calculator makes it easy to determine the benefits and coverage when choosing the right TCD policy for your trip. Compare options and buy a policy online in just a few minutes. Receive an electronic version of the policy by e-mail immediately after purchase.